Introducing “194 Duckworth Street


194 Duckworth, located across the street from the War Memorial, would have been built shortly after the great fire of 1892. It was best known I the early decades of the 20th century as the surgery and residence of Dr. George Nelson Murphy. Dr. Murphy, father of Dr. Bliss Murphy, was a physician specializing in treating patients with ear, nose and throat aliments. Dr. Murphy occupied the premises from 1915-1936. Occupant’s earlier than1915 included the Times Printing Office. In an ad placed in the St. John’s Directory in 1908, Mr. Andrew E. Wright, proprietor of the “Times”, when the building address was 158 Duckworth St., advertised that the firm specialized in “Commercial and other job printing executed with neatness and dispatch”. Other occupants included Richard Walsh, James Davis, Mrs. James Davis Millinery, L.E. Keegan, the Home Cookery of Mrs. J.J. Walsh, Chesley Chaytor, Reginald Chaytor, Edgar Hurley, John Coffey, Roger Gale, Harold Scott, Livyers Antiques, Trius Word Processing, and The Salt Box craft shop. The main floor retail is currently occupied by a decorator store called Lux.


Built in the International Second Empire style of architecture, this building is very similar to many downtown properties that were built by the firm of J. and J.T. Southcott. Distinguishing architectural elements include the concave mansard roof with hooded dormer windows, decorative cornices under the eaves and bay windows on the first floor, decorative iron railing at street level and on the top of the bay window. This building is a very important element in the integrity of the streetscape faced of all of the buildings between King’s Road and Holloway Street. The following series of photographs illustrate this streetscape as it was at the time of the construction and opening of the war memorial.


Click thumbnail below to enlarge image:



194 Duckworth was the recipient of an award for building restoration in 1980, as can be seen from the illustration of the award that was presented by the heritage foundation.



The building still retain its original character with plaster walls and ceilings with cornice moldings and rosettes, original window and door moldings, original state and wooden fireplaces with cast iron fireplace inserts, exposed rock foundation wall in basement, original front entrance with ruby red glass, original staircase, wooden panels below window, wide baseboard molding, and hardwood floors.


There have been many upgrades to this property over the years including but not restricted to the following: pressure treated roof top deck with city and harbour views; fire alarm system and emergency lighting; emergency doors; rear access to all levels; upgraded electrical with three meters; many new windows; exterior painting and repairs (2003); air conditioning in third floor bedroom; etc..


The basement level is currently vacant. The first floor, consisting of about 1200 sq.ft. is occupied by a retail store called Lux. This space is very attractive as can be seen in the following photos:

Click thumbnail below to enlarge image:



The second and third level is a residential quarters with about 750 sq. ft on each floor. This outstanding space includes a living room with fireplace, and dining room with fireplace on the second floor; and kitchen, family room and bedroom on the third floor. There are hardwood floors throughout the property and views of the harbour and war memorial from most windows.


This is truly an outstanding property as illustrated in the following additional photographs




194 Duckworth is being offered for sale for $329,000.


To arrange a viewing, please call

Chris O’Dea




In the meantime, please feel free to take a virtual tour of this outstanding home.


Click thumbnail below to enlarge image:


City Wide Cab at front of property
Decorative iron fence at the front
Front Door
Front Entrance
Front view looking up
Rear access to 3rd floor
Rear of house
Rear showing deck
Access to pressure treated deck
View 1 from deck
View 2 from deck
View 3 from deck
View 4 from deck
View from 2nd floor living room
View from 3rd floor kitchen
Stairway to 2nd floor
Looking down stairway
Stained glass window on 2nd floor landing
Stair detail
Stairway to 3rd floor
2nd floor dining room with fireplace
2nd floor living room with original slate fireplace
2nd floor pocket doors
Landing at bottom of stairs to 3rd floor
3rd floor kitchen
3rd floor kitchen
3rd floor bedroom with air conditioner
3rd floor living room
Rock foundation wall in basement

Return to Top